First Boy’s Club and the Tunnels of Salem

Have you heard of Fagin and the Artful Dodger?

Tunnel under Downing Block

Tunnel under the Downing Block in Salem. In this building the Boys & Girls Club was founded. The building on top was recently removed exposing where the tunnel went beyond the iron door. In every location this club was in, the buildings gave these poor boys access to the tunnels in town. Also rooms off of this tunnel was used for the Underground Railroad.

Read Salem Secret Underground The History of the Tunnels in the City to find out more. The book everyone digs!!

Advertisements

What is PEM hiding?

Secrets of the Museum….

Recently on the PEM expansion they uncovered this tunnel. Originally it preexisted the Downing Block in which it was up to recently just a hallway in the basement. Originally there were previous buildings to the left and right of this tunnel. Until 3 months ago this section of tunnel was under the addition to the rear of the Downing Block (owned now by the PEM) which was the original location of the first Boys Club in the country. Now it is exposed as the addition has been demoed. A construction worker said they were preserving the iron door; but the question is, did they open up the tunnel beyond the door?

The original buildings attached to this building were rumored to be part of the Underground Railroad. In either building Runaway Slaves were welcome to stay for a respite. Also this tunnel was heated by a furnace under the left section of the Downing Block. This building is also haunted and the Salem Paranormal Convention has done investigations in the tunnels. Part of the investigation was Scott Gruenwald “the Naked Ghost Hunter”.

Now in front of the PEM to the far right they are digging a new cellar for their expansion which will be done in 2019. Once they did so, they uncovered another tunnel. This lined up with their mock quarter slotted viewer designed into the display above the Jersey Barriers. Now a front end loader and a big pile of dirt blocks our view of the tunnel. Also in front of the East India Marine Hall, paid for by Stephen White who engineered Presidents Harrison’s rise and assassination,  it seemed they uncovered another tunnel. Within the next year they will be reopening a tunnel that had once led from the Essex Institute to the Armory where they house many of their collections. In that collection are Romanov Crown Jewels, possibly acquired by  a member of the Crane plumbing empire when he was Minister to Russia during the Bolshevik Revolution. The jewels might be right next to Blackbeard’s Skull cup…

So what is the PEM hiding?

To find out more read Salem Secret Underground:The History of the Tunnels in the City which is available at Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, and local shops in Salem, MA for all you tourists and locals alike. Also you can get an advance reader collectible edition of its sequel Sub Rosa on Amazon.com. Later its official release will be sold at Barnes & Nobe on July 4th 2017.

East India Marine Hall and the Man Who Killed a President

Mysteries of the Museum

East India Marine Hall and the Peabody Essex Museum Salem MA

 

East India Marine Hall

161 Essex Street

Built in 1825. Stephen White was the current president of the Salem East India Marine Society Incorporated them as a LLC and had his mason William Roberts build it. The Salem East India Marine Society was founded in 1799 by supercargoes and ship captains who have rounded the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn. The hall would be built across from Stephen White’s boyhood home and counting house. Benjamin Hodges was the society’s first president as well as master of the Essex Lodge. The museum was incorporated in 1801 to house objects gathered by their members from their sea voyages to create a museum of curiosities. Upon the East India Marine Hall’s opening John Quincy Adams presided over banquet. On the first floor was Stephen White’s Asiatic Bank, the post office, and Stephen White’s the Oriental Insurance Company. In 1867 the hall was refitted by donations from George Peabody who was the London banker in business with J.P. Morgan’s father.

George Peabody

Stephen White would murder his uncle under his blessings and blame the murder on the sons of two business partners that insulted his uncle. Stephen would then go on to see the murder of President Harrison after he denied to create the Third Bank of the United States. Only to die 3 days later himself. In 1867 the museum was bailed out by another gentleman who wanted to see the Third Bank of the United States created, George Peabody. He had previously sold several shares to the Rothschilds, Brown Brothers, and the Bank of England in the Second Bank of the United States that Jackson destroyed. In response to Jackson not renewing the charter Peabody worked with Rothschild to create the 1837 Panic.

10202461514351719

The Essex Historical Institute, The Essex Natural History Museum, East India Marine Museum, and the Peabody Academy of Science have been combined to make the Peabody Essex Museum. The hall has been added onto from 1885 to 2000 on various sides. In 2013 it saw another retrofit. The museum now holds collections of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Oceanic, Indian, and Native American art along with collections of portraits, furniture, and maritime history from Essex County. For over 300 years this society has been collecting things from around the world. They have vaults in basements and subbasements under the East India Marine Hall and the Armory. I do not believe we will ever see the true extant of their collections. What fabulous items have they smuggled through the tunnels from the sea? There is rumors they have the Romanov crown jewels, Blackbeard’s skull, religious artifacts, and magical items from around the world are stored in their vaults. Soon they will be opening a tunnel from the Essex Institute to the Armory once more to move items through.

Blackbeard's skull-Cup at the Peabody Essex Museum Salem MA
10202387701186436

East_India_Marine_Hall_and_general_view,_by_H._P._Ives

Essex_Institute_Gallery

Essex-institute-historical-museum-and-picture-gallery-salem-mass

Get the book everyone digs before its sequel comes out!
Salem Secret Underground:The History of the Tunnels in the City!
Available at Barnes & Noble, Remember Salem, and Wicked Good Books in Salem on Essex Street. Also on Amazon.com!